I got this nice board about a month ago, and yet I couldn’t find the time to play much with it… until today.
I unboxed the board a couple of weeks ago, and I noticed the only way to program it was with a REAL Windows box (couldn’t get VirtualBox to work at first!) BIG BIG BOOMER!
Today I took over the board again and was able to get VirtualBox to recognize the board (nice getting somewhere!), in order to do this I needed to add USB devices filters, hot-plug to the VM didn’t work, but the filters did the trick. It makes sense a filtered device will give control to the guest OS as soon as the device is detected, and not letting Linux play with the crappy factory fw.
So I started playing around a little, and was able to program the board, get it into bootloader mode and such. Still not a close to nice solution but better than rebooting my dual boot into useless Windows just for playing with a board….
Then I started looking around on the web and got to this post , nice they give some details, but not totally helpful.
So I grabbed , got the board into bootloader mode a file named BOOTUPDATEAPP.SDA to get the bootloader updated, unpluged the board and plugged it back into bootloader mode once more, this time I pushed MSD-FRDM-KL25Z_Pemicro_v107.SDA and did the plug process once more to verify it still was working on Windows.
Once Windows was doing it fine, I disabled the usb filters, took out the wire, put it back in and BOILA!!! Thunar from XFCE now allows me to drag and drop .sda files to the ARM processor.
Now time to start playing with GCC and SCons to get a toolchain working.